With Food design we mean the project with food or acts food (eating design).
Food design is a recent discipline that includes the process of design studies and research that generates new products related to food. This discipline is part of the industrial design and is in charge of the creation and design of food, parts of complex food products and in some way related to them.
In Food Design meet and mix different disciplines such as biology, genetics, anthropology, psychoanalysis, sociology, nutrition, research on sociability and social mediation and the history of cucinari systems and forms of conviviality.
The Food Design can be divided into several sub-categories, some more related to food,
other close to the sphere of design and are in some way related to food:
- Design With Food – the design of the food look at it as an object, and working with it as though it were a design project, taking on its usability, ergonomics, the logic of its industrialisations, its shape, materials, naming, packaging and rituals of use. This process aims to create new objects in terms of taste, texture, temperature, color and texture.
- Eating Design – This categorie include the design of any eating situation where there are people interacting with food. This sub-discipline encompasses many of the other sub-categories described above, and as a result it could be considered the most complex; designing eating situations requires the designer to take into account many different aspects and uncountable variables.
- Food Product – the design of food to be mass produced.
- Design For Food – the design of all the products useful to cut, chop, mix, contain, preserve, store, cook and present food. In this category we find all the products that are part of the preparation, distribution and communication of food. The packaging is not only a container, but equally important, it is one of the means of the communication for the product, that will make it recognized and remembered.
- Design About Food – It concerns the design of objects inspired by food. Usually food as a material is not involved in this category, instead, food is used to emphasize, reinterpret or characterize the product’s message. The products that emerge from this methodology are carpets that look like giant fried eggs with round pillows to form the yolk .
- Food Space Design and Interior Design For Food – the design of food spaces considering all the characteristics of the eating environment or food environments, such as interiors, materials and colors but also lighting, temperature and music, as well as the employees clothing and behavior towards the customers.
Interior Design For Food is about products of interior design conceived for food spaces such as kitchens, bakeries, patisseries, bars and restaurants. Even if in this category too, food is not involved as a material, the methodology used in Interior Design For Food involves knowledge from many aspects regarding food: from food preparation, for an understanding of the better material to design a work top with, to the eating experience dynamics, to be able to design the right light, temperature and colors in the eating environment.
Martì Guixè, Transition Menu – Corraini Edizioni, Mantova, 2013
Martì Guixè, Food Designing – Corraini Edizioni, Verona, 2010
Eat Love. Food concept by eating-designer Marije Vogelzang – BIS Publishers, Amsterdam, 2008